According to the National Floor Safety Institute, slip and fall accidents account for over 1 million emergency room visits each year. Serious personal injuries like slip and falls require professional, immediate medical attention. Unfortunately, the coronavirus pandemic has made personal injury victims feel hesitant about visiting the hospital. Whether your slip and fall accident happened while staying at home or due to someone else’s negligence, protecting your health is essential.
The Law Office Of Joseph Onwuteaka, P.C., can offer detailed guidance about how to find a doctor after a slip and fall accident during the pandemic. If your personal injury occurred as a result of another party’s carelessness, I can fight passionately to protect your rights and pursue fair financial compensation for your injuries and damages. I proudly serve clients throughout Texas, including Harris County, Houston, and the surrounding areas.
Why it’s Still Important to See a Doctor
Sustaining an injury during the COVID-19 pandemic, has caused many people to feel unsafe to visit the hospital. They believe that managing their wounds at home is safer. This may be true for minor bumps, cuts, and bruises.
However, for more severe slip and fall injuries such as broken bones, sprained ankles, knee damage, spine, or traumatic brain injury, knowing the full magnitude of your injuries may be difficult unless a professional medical professional examines you. It’s essential to see a doctor after a slip and fall accident in order to:
- Know the Severity of Your Injuries: Seeing a doctor is vital to ensure you haven’t sustained a severe or life-threatening injury, such as a traumatic brain injury, internal bleeding, or spinal cord injury.
- Get Immediate Medical Care: Seeking immediate medical attention, sooner than later, may be the difference between achieving full recovery and suffering long-lasting damages.
- Obtain Medical Records: If another party’s negligent actions caused your slip and fall injury, having an official medical record is a key element in pursuing compensation. Your medical record will link your injuries to the accident and can be tendered when filing claims.
Seeking Emergency Medical Treatment
If you sustain severe injuries after a slip and fall accident, going to the emergency room is necessary. The first thing to do is to call your local emergency number or 911. Alert the emergency room that you need immediate attention. You may be provided with an ambulance to transport you to the emergency room or urgent care center for a comprehensive examination and adequate care.
Steps to Take if Going Into the Emergency Room
If you are going into the hospital or emergency room, ensure that you take the following precautions:
- When in the waiting area, wear your face mask, PPE, and maintain a social distance of at least 6 feet
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth
- Clean your hands often, especially after touching or holding any surfaces
- Wash your hands with soap and water or use hand sanitizers containing at least 60% alcohol
- Follow the emergency room’s patient safety culture and guidelines
- Be honest and transparent about any symptoms you are experiencing
Seeing a Doctor Virtually
If you only sustained minor injuries after the slip and fall accident or need to receive continued care, you may consider seeing a doctor virtually. Contact your healthcare insurance provider, physical therapist, or physician to find out your available options. Ensure that you keep details of all medical treatments and virtual doctor’s appointments. Also, you should seek legal counsel for proper guidance and assistance. An attorney can assist with finding medical assistance even where it appears to be financially prohibitive.
How a Personal Injury Attorney Can Help
Navigating a slip and fall or premise liability claim can be really complicated. If you believe that your slip and fall injury was due to someone else’s negligence, it’s important to hire a knowledgeable attorney immediately for detailed guidance and to pursue your rightful compensation.
At the Law Office Of Joseph Onwuteaka, P.C., I have dedicated my career to providing outstanding legal services and handling personal injury and slip and fall accident matters. As your attorney, I will make sure you receive the proper medical care, review your case, carry out a comprehensive investigation, and establish fault and liability.
Additionally, I will attempt to prove that there was an unsafe, dangerous, or defective condition on the property that caused your injury. I will fight compassionately to protect your rights and help you recover fair financial compensation. Call my law firm today to speak with an experienced Texas personal injury attorney.
I’m proud to serve slip and fall accident victims throughout Houston and Harris County, Texas.